Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Cake and good friends.....

I went to see my good friends Anne and Chris last Thursday night in Columbia. They just had a sweet little baby girl (Ashlyn) back in October. Anne and I were roommates in college at Francis Marion. Our set-up was pretty cool….We lived in an apartment on campus with 2 other girls (Crystal and Amanda). In the 2 apartments next to us was some of our other good friends, including Chris (Anne’s husband). So we had lots of late nights together hanging out, watching movies, and doing your normal crazy college stuff!
When I stayed with Anne and Chris last Thursday night, we started laughing because it honestly felt like we were back in college. We had so much FUN!
I’m offering a new session in photography called “The Cake Smashing Session”. It’s basically a session where a cake, a child, and a birthday are mixed together and the child digs in the cake while I snap the shots. To see an example of what I’m talking about click here.

Cakes can be expensive, so Anne and I decided to try and make one. First we “dirty iced” our cake (I learned the terminology from Cake Boss)! Then we started rolling out the fondant and dying it. Now Anne and I had all of the “stuff” we needed for the cake, BUT we were totally un-prepared for the fondant. We didn’t have a roller or any shapes to cut it out with so this is what we ended up using…

Roller-Baby Bottle
Round Shapes-Highlighter pen top and baby bottle top

Below are some pictures of the process…..
Dirty Icing the Cake...


Dying the fondant...

Our cut outs...




The finished product.....



For our first cake, I say it came out pretty good! We were pleased….

I loved getting to spend some time with Anne and Ashlyn because the last couple of times I’ve seen them I’ve just taken pictures of Ashlyn and haven’t gotten to spend a lot of time catching up. I loved holding Ashlyn and getting to know her a little! She’s such a sweet baby! To see some of the pictures I took of Ashlyn on Thursday night click here. Below are a few pictures of my time with Anne and Ashlyn!



I had a great night having some crazy fun and spending time with great friends!

3 comments:

Beth Priest said...

cute cake! so how much did it cost you to make it? I am also kind of confused about that first pic with chris, anne and ashlyn...

Amy Prikazsky said...

With the fondant and dye it cost $10. The cheapest bakery cost $25 and it was a smaller cake.
HaHa-The picture of Chris and Anne they were trying to hold Ashlyn for a picture in a sling but it didn't work...Guess I should have said that:)

carissa said...

the cake is so adorable. it is even cuter than the bakery kind! you did a fabulous job!