Tuesday, May 29, 2012

AR developmental update....

A little over 3 weeks ago, Annie Rice started walking! We are so so happy! There are still many things she can’t do, but I know that will come. Annie Rice is currently at a 14 month level motor skill wise. 
It was a very rough, emotional day, the following Monday during PT.  I wasn’t prepared for what I was told...
Basically, Annie Rice has low muscle tone. Once we were told that, it all started making sense, and I can see that now. We even saw glimpses of that when looking back at her previous medical history. But the therapist also noticed that Annie Rice has pronation...She walks on the inside of her feet, which isn’t good at all for the ankles or knees. With any shoes except her little crocs, the shoes rub sores on her feet because she walks on the inside of them. The PT said we would probably have to do foot braces to help correct this, and look at her wearing them for 4 years. Now don’t get me wrong, we would do WHATEVER needed to help Annie Rice, but it caught me completely off guard. Our goal physical wise, has been for her to walk. So once we got there, I thought we were good to go...I knew we would still have things to work on like jumping, running, etc, but walking has been the goal. I wasn’t prepared to hear she might have to wear foot braces for 4 years. I just started thinking about kids picking on her, and it got to me! I struggled that day a lot..I cried every time I thought about it, and Kaz and I just really kept praying over her feet. That following weekend, I was at a wedding and this little girl who looked just like Annie Rice[curly hair and all] was dancing barefoot at the reception. I couldn’t help but tear up...Satan was definitely hitting me hard. I wasn’t struggling with making the right decision, I was struggling with Annie Rice getting picked on or being different from other children. 
That Monday at PT, the therapist actually threw me off guard again! I was prepared to start the process for the braces, but she saw such improvement from the previous week in the way Annie Rice was walking, she suggested shoe inserts. These inserts look just like the braces except they don’t cover the top of the foot and she would only have to wear them about 6 hours a day! We are going to try this for 2 months and see if there’s any improvement...If there is, we may not have to do the braces. If there isn’t, then we will do the brace. Regardless, I know the Lord has a plan. He has already used her delays for His kingdom in so many ways. I know if this is the route He takes us on, it will all be for His glory. 
We are working really hard on strengthening her little muscles! We were told swimming and gymnastics would be 2 of the best things we would do to help her long term. So we start gymnastics next week, and are trying to go the pool as often as we can to get her kicking those little legs;)

These pictures were from memorial day...
 She had to take a couple "cookie" breaks:)


6 comments:

Kyle Childress said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Praying for her precious feet!

elizabeth said...

I don't always leave a comment, but I just love your updates on Annie Rice. Seems so long ago when I would pray when reading your struggles with infertility, (just like my oldest daughter-10 years and 3 miscarriages, so I could feel your pain), and now I rejoice each time I see your beautiful little girl. Sounds to me like God is already healing her!

Hilary said...

I know each child is different, but my niece had the same problem with walking on her arches. She would also tend to drag one of her feet. My sister kept her in high top Stride Rite's for about 2 years and it self-corrected. It's worth a shot! & I love her bathing suit - so cute! :-)

Rain said...

From the mom of 2 special needs-grown up now-daughters--your family love and Gods will get you through. You will overcome this too and she will thrive with your support and love.
Peace-Rain

Holly said...

I also always read your blog and not always comment too. Your daughter is adorable!

I just wanted to tell you that one of my 17 month old triplets has this problem and has the "braces" which is what the doctors call them but they are the shoe inserts. They are barely seen (in sandals, not at all in sneakers) and we have to let her wear them at least two hours a day. Her left foot looks to still be about the same after two months but we are hoping that it improves and she stops walking on the inside of her foot/feet and kinda limping. It breaks my heart! I also worried about kids making fun of her in school and when she gets older but hopefully she won't need them then.

I know it is horrible to think something may be wrong with your sweet girl, but there are many people praying for her! Keep your head up, you are a great Momma!