Tuesday, June 28, 2011

bringing home Annie Rice...

our adoption journey has been no easy road, even up until these last 2 weeks...BUT our precious daughter was worth every hard day we’ve battled.

I’ve mentioned several times about the other birth mom we were paired with for awhile...the bumpy and hard road we had with her...We found out June 12th that she had her baby. While we knew the week before that she was going to keep it, it was still a very hard day for us because up until that point there wasn’t a physical child that we could see or imagine...We didn’t talk about it a whole lot but we were both very down that day..
The next morning, I got up as usual and went for my daily walk which as I’ve mentioned several times has turned into a prayer walk. As I was praying for our adoption, I prayed, “Lord, please even let us get a phone call today...” Sometime after lunch, Kaz called me and said, “Miss, our worker called and there’s a baby. She’s 11 months old...We were expecting a newborn, but that doesn’t matter to me..There’s a lot to it so I want you to call our worker and hear for yourself. We have to make a decision by tomorrow. She’s delayed a couple of months but that doesn’t matter to me. I’m so excited Miss[that’s his name for me:)”.

I called our worker and heard all the details for myself. The initial conversations sounded a lot worse than reality..We talked with some of our close friends and family about our decision. Annie Rice was already a part of BabyNet which helped with her motor skills and was seeing an early interventionist/physical therapist once a week. All of this was pretty overwhelming to us, but we knew that if this was the baby the Lord had for us we were willing to do WHATEVER we needed to take care of her. AND SO MANY DETAILS were lining up that were little blessings from the Lord regarding this baby...[more on this later]
We went to bed that night with a peace about our decision and kept praying that if this was not the Lord’s will, something would change on the birthparents side. I called our worker the next morning to tell her that our decision was yes and she said the process was underway. She said she would give us a call after lunch to talk over more of the details...
I was SO EXCITED, I couldn’t stand it. While waiting on her call, I did a little shopping for Annie Rice and Kaz and I had lunch. After lunch, I had a few errands to run including going to Target. We knew Annie Rice would be turning 1 on July 6th, so while at Target I picked up a little birthday onesie. I was walking down the picture frame isle when our worker called..I never expected to hear what she had to say...
She said that the birthmom was really undecided about us..That a family her mom knew had come into the picture and they wanted to adopt Annie Rice...She was going to need some time to figure out what she wanted to do. My heart couldn’t have dropped anymore than it did when I heard the news. My spirit was crushed and instead of being sad I became just plain mad. On top of that, I had to break the news to Kaz....Waiting to hear her decision was not easy...I really tired to trust that this was the baby because in my heart I felt like it was...Late the next day, we got the call that the birthmom wanted to meet us on that Sunday...4 days away! 

Those days didn’t fly by...Thankfully, I had a really big wedding the day before to keep my mind off of things. As we made our way to the meeting, our nerves started to take over. We had been through this before with the other birthmom, and these meetings can be very awkward at first...We had no idea what to expect. 
I do want to keep a lot of things private that went on in the meeting and with the birthparents just for our family, but I will say that the meeting went GREAT! Better than we could have ever expected. We met for over 2 hours. Inside, I couldn’t help but be ecstatic. The ending floored us, and something we had not expected...The birthmom looked us in the eyes and said, “Ya’ll seem like really nice people, but I’m just not sure. I really need more time...Maybe another visit.” I wanted to hide under the table we were sitting at.
We left the meeting on that note. Our worker told us she hoped to hear something the next day. As we left the meeting, we drove in silence holding hands for a good hour. I can’t explain how I felt, what I felt....What happened was not right...That wasn’t how it was supposed to go. After driving for awhile, we prayed together and silently. Overtime, I started feeling the Lord’s peace once again...He was saying, “Just be patient...I have this under control...This is the child for you BUT IN MY TIMING...”

We anxiously awaited a phone call the next day...but when we got it, there had been no change...Our worker said, maybe the next day...
Each day that passed from the day we got the initial phone call, my sleeping habits drastically changed. I could no longer sleep and I woke up earlier and earlier every day. That day, I woke up at 530am. I went for my walk and as I walked out the door I grabbed some papers that I had with verses on them..I knew this prayer walk would be hard so I needed physical truth to help me. The first verse that I read was :
2 Thessalonians 1: 3-4
We ought always to thank God for you, brothers, and rightly so, because your faith is growing more and more, and the love everyone of you has for each other is increasing. There, among God’s churches we boast about your perseverance and faith in all the persecutions and trials you endure.

Wow, what a conviction..After my walk, my spirits were very high. I REALLY BELIEVED WITH ALL MY HEART that we were going to get news that day. It was just a matter of actually getting the phone call....Our worker called with good news..She said that the mom had 100% decided on us and that placement for Annie Rice would be 3 days away on Saturday! My heart was over joyed. I had so much to do to prepare...Kaz and I were prepared for a newborn, NOT a 1 year old BUT I no longer cared. I didn’t want a newborn anymore, just this precious little girl. My mom came down to help me prepare, buy clothes, etc. We had a lot of fun getting ready! I have been waiting many days to shop for baby clothes so when I got the chance to buy those first outfits, I took advantage of it! We found out Annie Rice had a full head of dirty blonde curly hair so I bought every bow I could possibly find! Saturday couldn’t come fast enough. Throughout those 2 weeks, the Lord really gave me and Kaz such a peace about this little girl. Even though we had never met her, when we said yes for the first time, she was apart of our family...I even told Kaz at lunch the day we had decided yes, that I felt a lot like families who adopt internationally and get a referral. Once families get a referral, that is there child. They love them and know it’s just a matter of time before they are united. I felt the same way, and we hadn’t even seen a picture...She was our daughter and I knew that from the beginning...BUT getting her wasn’t an easy road. 

The days flew by and before long, it was Saturday...We both tried to go about the day as normal as we could, otherwise our nerves would not hold out until 430pm which is when we actually got to pick her up. We knew the placement would be very hard, because the birthmom had asked to physically hand off Annie Rice to us. 
We had been waiting in the office maybe 10 minutes, and the birthmom said would you like to meet your daughter. When she came around the corner, I could have busted out crying right there. She was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. She was grinning from ear to ear and immediately stuck her fingers in my mouth:) well, and then stuck her fingers up her nose and in my mouth! She was beautiful...The time had come for the birthmom and dad to leave...I knew it would be hard but never as hard as it was. I think I cried more than them...Even though it was their decision to place Annie Rice up for adoption, part of me still felt guilty for seeing them hurt the way they were...
After we signed all of our papers, we made the 3 hour trip back home where my parents and Liz and Todd were waiting! Annie Rice did so good on the trip! She really is such a happy baby!
More on the first night later...

The Lord really has blown us away with his goodness and faithfulness in our lives. Annie Rice is SO MUCH MORE than we could have ever asked or imagined. She is a miracle and gift from the Lord...I never want to forget that. Our journey has been hard and long, but do I really remember all of that..NOPE! Annie Rice was worth all of it...and if I’m honest, I would do it all again for her. The Lord has even blessed us in her physical capabilities. We were told she was about 4-6 months delayed...At her last visit 2 weeks ago with the early interventionist, they said she was only 2 months delayed. One of the neatest things about Annie Rice is her birthday...Last July 4th, Kaz’s mom passed away. She prayed oh so much for our baby...Annie Rice was born on July 6th. What a blessing to know ever year, that July 4th will be a hard day, but 2 days later celebration over this miracle. A miracle that his mom prayed for everyday. The name Annie Rice is after Kaz’s mom, Anne. 

Psalm 30:5
Weeping may last for the night, but JOY comes in the morning...

We have been overwhelmed with love and support...We can’t say thank you enough for all of the sweet messages we have received. Annie Rice is a miracle and we are so happy that the Lord has blessed us with her.
More of this story to come! 


49 comments:

Hollie said...

She is an absolute doll. My heart is so happy for you all.

Longmeadow Mama said...

I had chills reading this post. When I got to the birthday part, that's when I lost it! Such tears of joy for you. Your story has left me in awe of our God. Can't wait to hear more of it!

Monica said...

I can't say this enough. I'm so happy for yall and so blessed to know your family! It is such an encouragement to read your story and see the miracle that God has placed in adoption. Love you!

Design Apprentice said...

Oh my gosh this just made my entire morning. I am so so happy for you, God is great. Congratulations on your complete and beautiful family.

Our Dreaming Tree of Three said...

What a beautiful story! Congratulations on this precious gift.

melissa said...

You have me crying so early in the morning! :) You are right, she is a doll!!

Jemsmom said...

Amy! I am so so so so happy for you guys! My heart is just bursting right now for you. She is beautiful and what an incredible blessing she is! You go buy all the bows you need!

Beth McC. said...

What an Awesome story! She is so precious! Congrats to you guys and your precious baby boy!

Jessica said...

Wow! Such a miracle & she is just beautiful! So amazing! Thank you, Jesus!

Julie said...

CONGRATULATIONS! She is BEAUTIFUL! So happy for you!

Ashley said...

Such a sweet story with a fantastic happy ending!!! I am soo excited for you guys and your new family!!! I look forward to hearing more about Annie!!!

Megan said...

I teared up reading this! I am so happy your prayers have been answered and so thrilled that little Annie Rice has found a home with you and Kaz. I will continue to pray for your little beautiful family!

Jennifer said...

Congratulations again! I'm am SO happy for you. Your strength and faithfulness in the Lord has been such an inspiration. It's been beautiful to see God working in your life. I can't wait to hear more about Annie.

maNda said...

you are such an awesome person, amy... even though i don't know you very well that much is clear. i love reading the things your write and am SO very happy for your new baby girl. the bows are pretty fabulous!! :)

mel @ the larson lingo said...

I have tears in my eyes!!! SO incredibly happy for you!!! What a testimony of God's love and faithfulness. Love her name. Your daughter is just beautiful!

Jaclyn M said...

Such an amazing story. You 2 look even cuter as a family of 3!!! So happy for you. I know I have never met you, but I cried with excitement for you when I found out you had your daughter with you... finally!

PrettyinPink said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brittany said...

Oh my goodness!! This brought tears to my eyes. I am so thrilled for you! I can't believe how much she looks like ya'll too! My sister is adopted and she looks so much like myself and my family. This little girl was meant for you!!

Abby said...

I have tears in my eyes reading your story. I'm just so very happy for you. God is amazing. I can't wait to hear how life with your sweet baby is!!

Misty said...

Thank you for sharing your story. Annie Rice is too cute!!!!

Continuing to pray for your family and your adjustment to a family of 3.

Praise the Lord!!!!

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

Ok so I missed a few days- WHAT!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! She is more than beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a crazy, hard, wonderful story :) BLESSINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mrs. Mama said...

Tears, lots of happy tears for you guys. She is beautiful.

Hilary Surratt said...

Love love love! Can't wait to hear more about her!!! She is precious!!! I'm so happy for y'all!!

amelia said...

Beautiful story on how God's timing is always perfect:))thanks for sharing. God is good

Jen said...

She is just adorable; I'm so so happy for you <3

carissa said...

tears, tears, tears. i'm so thankful you are finally on this side of the journey with your gorgeous miracle in hand. praise Jesus!

Erin said...

Wow. Just.Wow. I have no words. Just smiles :)

Allyce said...

So, so amazing. I have been following your blog for some time and I am just so happy for you and your husband! Blessings to you and your family!

Amanda said...

I have been following your journey for a long time! I am so glad you finally have your baby in your arms. YAY GOD!!!

Amanda
ajmcreamer.blogspot.com

michelle ellis said...

She is precious and beautiful! God is amazing! Congrats!

Vanessa said...

Oh my goodness! I've been "secretly" following your blog for months. I am sooo excited for you! She is gorgeous. Love that you were open to an older child and listened to what God wanted for you. Congrats on your beautiful daughter!

Cary Dale Taylor said...

She is the cutest little thing. I am overwhelmed with joy for your family.

Ashley said...

What an amazing story! She is precious!!

Tiffany said...

Amy, we are SOOO happy for ya'll! I just LOVE looking at the pictures, what joy! God is SO GOOD!!! Thank you for sharing! It is such an encouragement.

Kara said...

Oh my word. the cuteness! She is an absolute doll. I loved reading your story and hearing about this precious miracle. You never know when God is going to turn your world upside down. So glad that this week was your week! What a miracle! She is perfect. Love the scrunchy nose pic!!

Stacy Kinard said...

I just stumbled across your blog yesterday and am so excited to continue to follow! What a blessing from God! Your faith is inspiring!
Congrats!!

Bernice said...

Oh my gosh, leave your post for a short trip and come back to such wonderful news!! I have tears flowing I am so happy for you Kaz and Miley. She is beautiful!! You all look so happy.I knew God had a beautiful child waiting for you.
Please more pictures and stories of your life as a Mommy!!

Alphabet Soup Momma said...

I am overwhelmed with happiness for you and Kaz! Annie Rice is gorgeous!

J said...

God is so good!! Your patience and trust in Him has truly paid off because you received the most precious miracle, beautiful Annie Rice.

Lisa @ Life is Crazy Beautiful said...

Ugh! Even though I saw pictures in the earlier post, after reading your story...then seeing that beautiful picture the tears just sprang into action. What a glorious gift from the Lord!! I am beyond thrilled for you guys...J O Y :)

{His plan is just so much more perfect than what we can concoct ourselves}

The Hongs said...

so happy for you Amy!!! Love this story and can't wait to meet her!

Linda said...

God is so GOOD! His ways are higher than our ways.

I am so happy for you and for your little Annie.

Mrs. Chapman's 2nd Grade Class said...

Praise God!!! I am just catching up and am crying tears of joy! I love this story and Annie Rice is adorable! So so soooo happy for you three!

BARBIE said...

I am so over the top excited for you. Great is His faithfulness. What a story and she's absolutely gorgeous!

Julie S. said...

SO excited for you guys! :) Brings tears to my eyes!

Timothy and Holly said...

Oh how I enjoyed reading more about this beautiful gift from God! I'm just love how her name and birthday are just perfect for her and you guys! The pictures are awesome!

Kayleigh said...

Amy, I haven't looked at your blog since way back when. (I think y'all had just started the adoption process.) I'm so happy to hear y'all have your baby now. She is beautiful.

I can't help but think what a lucky little girl she is. She has a mommy who had the determination and patience to wait for her, and a birth-mom who had the strength of spirit to do what was right for her.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful account of that life-changing experience for all of you - thanks for sharing it with the rest of us.

BumbersBumblings said...

What a beautiful amazing story!! I think I follow you on instagram--your pictures look familiar! Annie is soo beautiful!