Wednesday, January 25, 2012

pillows, sewing, and window panels...

So yesterday I told you about some of the projects we have been working on...Well, those were really the big ones but I’ve been working on several small projects! For Christmas, I asked Kaz for a sewing class! I knew some of the basics but wanted to really learn how to sew clothes for Annie Rice..you know, some of the super cute ones that cost a fortune! Well, this sewing class has come in handy in more ways than one! We have been re-doing the guest room, that used to be my former office..When we started with a blank room, I knew I wanted to use the colors gray, yellow, and white! That along with apple green, gray, and white are my 2 favorite color schemes right now! So we painted the room gray, Kaz made a new headboard, and I had to add yellow accents! I already had yellow curtains that my friend Anne made but needed pillows! I ordered 2 pillows off of Etsy for $22 and loved the way they came out! BUT this week, I bought some of my all time fabric fabric[that comes in many colors] to reupholster the chair in that room. I decided to attempt to make a pillow! Well, not just any pillow because I can make a typical pillow but one that I can just inset pillows I already have in the house! JUST like the ones I ordered off of Etsy. I didn’t really know what I was doing, but decided it shouldn’t be too hard, set my mind to it, and 20 minutes later I had the finished product! It turned out SUPER and you would never know which was the “true professional one” verses mine! Can you tell?
Well, I made the one with the gray bird on it! I made a smaller gray one for the chair the exact same way! Instead of cutting 2 strips the same size, I cut 3. 1 was for the front, 2 for the back. On the 2 back pieces I added a hem, put all of them right sides together, and sewed all the way around! Once I flipped it, I could just insert the pillow! My measurements were not the best way to go about it, but the easiest for me. I made the new pillows by comparing the size of the pillows I had to insert:)






We also put up some pictures! We took old window panels, measured them, and printed 1 picture to fit the size of the frames!

 This is the new chair! It was covered in a blue fabric for our dinning room but now it’s completely different and in the guest room!

I love how it’s all coming together and hope to post the whole room very soon:)

10 comments:

Lisa @ Life is Crazy Beautiful said...

Nice projects! We just recently purchased 5 old windows from a guy who replaces windows for Lowe's...haven't decided what I'll do with them yet, love your pics in them!

Ashley said...

Great job!!! I've often tried to figure out the best way to recover pillows! Thanks for sharing!

Bernice said...

Love the pictures, was that hard to do? Did you need Photo shop?
Also love the pillows and chair..Great job!!

carissa said...

um, how cool are you?!!! whoa! want to come redo my house? ; ) LOVE the pillows and the frames and the pictures. : ) i can't wait till next month when i can order some of our pictures. you are one crafty chick.

Makai said...

I love the window frames! That is so beautiful. i might just steal this idea. haha!

Kelly Watson said...

so cute! I am always saying that we need more throw pillows.

Kim Fudge said...

I LOVE your window pane pictures! Those are so cute! GREAT idea! I also love the yellow and grey fabric you used. great job! :)

will + adri said...

I've tagged you in a recent post! Come on over and check it out!

Elizabeth Edwards said...

wow, you are super talented. love them. they look great!! (:

Baylis said...

Great job! I am so impressed!