Friday, January 27, 2012

Laundry Detergent Making Party...

Last night, me and a few girls from our Sunday School class made our own laundry soap! I saw the idea on pinterest and have several family/friends who make it, so we decided to give it a try! I bought the supplies for everyone and it came out to be right at $20 per person! We made enough laundry soap that should last our family between 9-12 months! It made a ton, and the best part is I only have to use a tablespoon per load of laundry:)  Here's the formula!

1 4 lb 12 oz box Borax (2.15 kg or 76 oz) 

1 4 lb box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (1.81 kg) 

1 box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda 55 oz (3 lb 7 oz) 

3 bars of Fels-naptha soap,

2 small containers of oxyclean (try to get about 3.5 lbs total (1.58 kg)) This is optional BUT I decided to add it because it adds that extra power of cleanliness to it:)

(you can also use pink Zote soap instead of Fels-naptha)
I found all of these supplies at Wal-Mart on the detergent isle and I literally cleaned them out:)

Basically, you mix everything together in a 5 gallon bucket. We lined our's with trash bags. Fels-naptha soap has to be shredded either with a cheese grater or a food processor[that is the easiest] and then tossed in the mix[these will dissolve in the wash even with cold water). Once everything is together, mix it all really well together and you have your soap! I have been told by friends who have HE washers that it works great in those specific washers. I'm super excited that I don't have to buy detergent hopefully for the rest of the year:) AND it was a fun time to spend with friends!







 We are storing most of ours in the 5 gallon bucket in our garage BUT I bought this container at Wal-Mart for $3, and sprayed a little chalk board paint on it to keep in our laundry room. This isn't even half of what the detergent made and it only takes a tablespoon:)

3 comments:

Jemsmom said...

Have you used it yet? How does it work? What a fun idea!

Misty said...

I am soooo excited to try this! Thanks for posting.

Bonky's Mom said...

How fun! I love that yall made it a group project--too cute!