Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Blessed....

Growing up, no matter what the situation, my dad has always told me to be thankful for what I have. He’s always said “No matter how big or small our problems are, look around at other people and I will see how blessed I am.” He said the same thing this morning….Our ac went out in our house on Sunday. It’s so hot, but I’m not concerned with the heat, I’m concerned with how much money it’s going to cost to fix it. We had someone look at it last night, and it’s not good. We are looking at either a new compressor or a whole new unit.

I’ve always understood what my dad was saying but I’ve never really put it into practice until today….You see my heart has been really heavy the last few days with tragedies that are happening all over the US.

Just last week, we had a family friend lose everything except their life in a tornado.

I’ve been heavy hearted for the people in Nashville that are under water right now…who have no flood insurance….who have lost loved ones….and who have lost everything they have. I’m almost in shock when I look at pictures because Kaz and I were just there. It’s so hard for me to fathom what is going on….

And then the oil spill…..The families who have lost loved ones…..and all the animals who are and will die as a result.

I feel helpless when I look at all these things….My heart is so burdened right now. So when I truly look at all of this and then look at the cost of my messily ac I’m thankful.

Are you?

Romans 8:28-29 states, "And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them. For God knew His people in advance, and He chose them to become like His Son, so that His Son would be the firstborn, with many brothers and sisters."

13 comments:

Beth Priest said...

That does put things in perspective! I am very thankful. I know that my hope and thankfullness too can extend even if something disasterous happens here in our city. If a cat 5 hurricane sweeps through and takes everything out Jesus still died for me so that I can have eternal life and that is all I need to know to have hope for my future home in heaven. It's going to be so perfect there and I can't wait.
I am sad about your ac! I will be praying for yall as you have to repair or replace it! That does seem like a huge set back financially!

Melissa's Thoughts said...

I live in the Nashville area and it's been hard seeing all this destruction. My home was not affected, so I am very thankful that we were protected. I really needed this post.

Katie said...

I know what you mean about looking at what's in front of you and forgetting about everything else. It's so hard to step back and consider how blessed you are. I hope you get it fixed and it won't be too expensive. Ours went out a few years ago and we got multiple quotes to make sure we weren't getting screwed. Some companies will do free estimates. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Praying for Nashville!

J said...

Thank you for posting this. My dad taught me the same thing. He always said someone has things worse than you, so when you feel like crying for yourself, you should pray for your neighbor instead (the way he said it sounds a lot better, lol, I can't remember his exact words). Those pictures really put things in perspective. I feel so sorry for all those people who lost so much.

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting this... I've been reading your blog for a month or so, and I've always gotten a positive vibe coming from your direction!

Keep it up!!!

Jill said...

Amy I feel the same way. We don't realize how blessed we are sometimes. Maybe get a 2nd opinion about the AC. We were told we needed a new compressor and then after checking with someone else found out the fan just needed to be replaced. My Hubs replaced it and it ended up only being $101.00. I hope you have the same luck!

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

It is so beyond devastating! Thanks for posting this.

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness I totally agree! It really puts my problems into perspective! One of my best friends lives in Nashville and her house is OK but a TON of people she knows have lost everything. She's planning on getting a tetanus shot this week so she can start helping her friends/family clean up and salvage what they can. It's so sad...somehow though through it all - God IS in control!!

Sarah said...

Yes! There is so much going on right now. It certainly does remind me of how lucky I am in my life.

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

PRAYING! After going to Ethiopia.....everything is in perspective. Sometimes I pull pictures to remind myself. These very sad things that have happened remind us again what is really important. Going through the destructive hurricanes here in Louisiana- yep another reminder. God grace & love is enough, but it is very very sad to see people who have lost- breaks our hearts, but we know that God knows them & loves them & we continue to lift them up in prayer. That God will make Himself known to them in their time of need.

Anonymous said...

I live in memphis and the weather was BAD here!! for 48 to 72 hours when all of that was going on we have so much damge around is .......it is truly sad! I feel helpless myself.........Thanks for posting this! We must be thankful for everything!


Head over and join my bracelet swap!!

carissa said...

there are so many big tragedies... the nashville floods are so bad... the oil spill seems to get worse... and the tornados! my oh my! this reminds me that earth is such a place full of pain! thank goodness that our home is not here! praying for your ac repair!