Sunday, January 27, 2013

5 miles in an hour...a HARD workout.

 Since getting Maggie in October, I think I have put on about 20 pounds! The first month and a half we had meals delivered to us, then the Holidays were soon after, and since the new year I just haven’t been motivated to do anything about losing the weight until now! 
I’m determined to get back to my “pre-maggie” weight, especially since we will be vacationing, oops I mean working, in St. Kitts in 6 weeks:) 
We love watching the Biggest Loser and this past week, something Jillian said really caught my attention. She told her team to do 5 miles everyday on the treadmill, AND it would only take an hour. Well, I started thinking about it and was determined that if the contestants could do it, I could too! BECAUSE when I run 5 miles, I can do it in an hour, but if I walk/run 5 miles it’s a lot harder to do it in an hour and on the biggest looser she wasn’t talking about them running all 5 miles. Even though I’m a little overweight, I’m still in pretty good shape. I’ve always been a big runner, and for me thats the best way for me to see results, BUT it also gets very old for me quick if I run everyday...So most of the time I will do intervals of running/walking on the treadmill. 
SO I tried this out this week and the first time I was over my goal by 5:45 minutes. That’s a lot to cut down on especially considering I was sweating like a pig when I finished AND I’m NOT a big sweater! It was a HARD, HARD workout. So the next time I went to the gym, I was determined to cut down on that time and still get in 5 miles of running/walking in an hour. I did it, BUT finished just barely under 1 hour! If you want a really good, hard workout, TRY THIS! I burned 520 calories in an hour timeframe! 
Note: While this is a hard workout, it’s not unmanageable. The highest speed is 6.5 for 2 minutes with NO INCLINE the entire workout.

Time Frame
Speed
0-3 minute Walking Warm Up
3.5
3-5 minutes Walking Warm Up
4.3
5-10 minute RUN
5.3
10-14 walk
4.3
14-16:30 RUN
6.5
16:30-19 RUN
6
19-21:30 RUN
5.5
21:30-25 RUN
5
25-30 WALK
4.3
30-32:30 RUN
6.5
32:30-35 RUN
6.0
35-37:30 RUN
5.5
37:30-40 RUN
5.0
40-47 RUN
5.3
47-50 WALK
4.5
50-55 RUN
5.3
55-60 WALK
4.3

It is my goal to figure out more and more 5 mile workouts on the treadmill in an hour! I will be posting more as the months go on. 
Let me know if you try it, and what you think! BE PREPARED, it’s a HARD workout BUT SO WORTH IT! I didn't add this on the list but be sure to include a COOL DOWN!


5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thank you so much for posting this! I'm trying to lose baby weight too and I'm trying to get back into running. I was looking for a way to take my running to the next level and push myself. I know this will be really hard, but I'm going to give this a go today. I just need to push through the times when I want to quit. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jennifer said...

Well, I left you another comment about how it went, but I guess blogger ate it :).

Hard is right! I've never sweated so much in my life. Next time I'm going to print it or write it out because it was too hard trying to look at my phone and figure out what came next. Not sure why I thought that would be a good idea, haha. I'm really looking forward to getting better at this. Very rewarding!

Hilary said...

I've tried that workout, but I must have really short legs, because I can't move my legs that fast! I love the idea of that workout, though!

Jemsmom said...

You go girl! I am training-ish for a 1/2 marathon in 4 weeks. I did 4 miles in an hour the other night and I was busting a move. I have arthritis in my knees and ankles so I am not supposed to run, but I like to push it when I can! I am supposed to do a 16 minute pace, and I can attest that is moving. 5 miles an hour is REALLY moving! Keep up the good work!

Unknown said...

I'll let you know on Monday how it was